“Real Solutions to Real Problems”
- Louisiana is 49th in Healthcare; it was 47th in 2009.
- Tarnished State Contracts to run Government Health Care Programs.
- Excess use of Emergency Rooms for routine healthcare.
- Second Highest mortality rate for Cancer, Occupational Hazard/Accidents,
and infant deaths.
- Refusal to find necessary revenue to fund Health Care properly, leading to
cuts to the Department of Health and Hospitals to include cuts to Mental Health
- Defunding Alternative HealthCare in Government run programs.
- No cap on Medical Liability Insurance placing an undue burden on physicians
- Increase the tax on tobacco (The national average tobacco tax is $1.45 per
pack, but Louisiana's tax is only 36 cents per pack) to provide revenue needed
to fund the Department of Health and Hospitals, and to provide funding for
programs that will prevent or deter smoking.
- Implement a pilot program for Mobile Free Health Care Clinics to provide
preventative care, screenings, and to provide extra support to local clinics
during natural disasters and/or industrial accidents that result in extensive
negative health effects to the population.
- Provide extensive mental health screens and appropriate treatment services
to inmates, the uninsured, and Medicare/Medicaid patients.
- Include Alternative Medicine in expenses covered by Government Administered
- Protecting the Cap on Medical Liability Insurance, solidifying the
legislative authority to establish a cap in order to allow Physicians and
Hospitals the freedom to practice while keeping health care costs affordable,
helping to insure their participation in treating Medicaid and Medicare
patients, which account for a quarter of the population.
* Platform information was formulated by meeting with representatives for the
following agencies or receiving information from the following sites:
- The American Cancer Society - http://www.cancer.org
- Americas Health Rankings - http://www.americashealthrankings.org/
- Public Affairs Research Council of Louisiana - http://www.clear.lsu.edu/
- The Louisiana Division of Administration - http://wwwprd.doa.louisiana.gov/latrac/index.cfm
- Louisiana.Gov - http://louisiana.gov
- The Louisiana State Medical Society - http://www.lsms.org/site/
Brief overview of where Louisiana stands on HealthCare under the current
Administration: Provided by Americas Health Ranking.
Louisiana (2010) - America’s Health Rankings®
Overall Rank: 49
Change: Down 2
Determinants Rank: 47
Outcomes Rank: 48
• Ready access to early prenatal care
• High immunization coverage
• High per capita public health funding
• High prevalence of obesity
• High rate of preventable hospitalizations
• High infant mortality rate
Louisiana is 49th this year; it was 47th in 2009.
State Health Department Website: www.oph.dhh.state.la.us