Sources of Revenue
“Real Answers to Real Problems”
- Reluctant to search for necessary revenue through the selective increasing
of innocuous tax options.
- Privatization of government agencies and programs, siphoning off financial
- Government sector layoffs, leading to less revenue to the state, higher
unemployment and a larger liability.
- Disparity of natural resources/industry and wealth of overall population,
(poverty rate of 19.4%).
- Highest Percentage of citizens incarcerated per capita, ranking Louisiana #1
– leading the nation in the number of citizens incarcerated.
- Examine the tax on tobacco products and other luxuries to offset the budget
- Implement a non-resident property tax, to offset the loss of revenue from
severed resources paid out to non-resident landowners.
- Establish a bipartisan committee to complete a comprehensive, unbiased
review of revenue received from the Gaming Industry and the Oil and Gas
Industry, and to examine the impact of such industries on the economy.
- Work with Industry leaders and Legislators to ensure we maximize programs
that have matching dollars from the Federal Government.
- Establish a panel of Criminal Justice Officials to review sentencing laws,
merge the parole and probation boards to one board lead by a majority rule vs. a
unanimous vote, and implement transition houses to decrease likelihood of repeat
offending. These common sense measures will reduce the inmate population and
provide the state with more citizens actively adding to state revenue.
* Platform information was formulated by meeting with representatives for the
following agencies or receiving information from the following sites:
1. Blue Print Louisiana - http://blueprintlouisiana.org
2. Louisiana Association of Business and Industry- www.labi.org
3. Public Affairs Research Council of Louisiana - http://www.clear.lsu.edu/
4. The Louisiana Division of Administration - http://wwwprd.doa.louisiana.gov/latrac/index.cfm
5. Louisiana.Gov - http://louisiana.gov/
6. Center on Budget and Policy Priorities - http://www.cbpp.org/cms/
7. Louisiana Economic Development - http://www.louisianaeconomicdevelopment.com/
8. AICPA American Institute of CPAs - http://www.aicpa.org/interestareas/businessindustryandgovernment/resources/governmentresourcecenter/guidance/downloadabledocuments/gov_auditing_stds_aug2011.pdf